1. How many unique license plates are possible?
2. Suppose no license plate is allowed to use the letter "O". How many license plates are possible?
3. Suppose no repetitions are allowed--which means that no letter or number can be used more than once. How many license plates are possible?
4. Suppose no repetitions are allowed, and the letter "M" has to be used. How many license plates are possible?
5. Suppose repetitions ARE allowed, but the sequence 211 is NOT allowed. How many license plates are possible?
You will find the solution here.
To Ponder On Your Own: Would the answer to number 5 change if the disallowed sequence was 111 instead of 211?
If you like our puzzles and explanations, please visit our store and check out our problem-solving and logic puzzle books!
Brian and Melanie Fulton both earned doctoral degrees in mathematics at Virginia Tech. They formerly taught math at the university level, and now run a hobby farm while accuracy-checking collegiate mathematics texts. They homeschool their four children, frequently employing the aid of chicken, dairy goat, cat, and dog tutors.